How to Update a Data Model that was Created from an Excel File
When uploading an Excel file to Data Modeling (Mash Pit), users can place the Excel file in a shared folder. This provides a convenient methodology for automatic refresh of the model's data - where the server will automatically upload a new copy of the data source from the shared directory during its scheduled refresh.
That said, it is also possible to update files there were not uploaded from a shared location or files that were uploaded before the upload from a shared folder option was available in BI Office.
In this case, the file will need to be replaced manually.
To do this, please follow the below steps:
1. Log into the tabular instance in SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Expand Databases > your data model > Connections.
3. Right click the connection and select Properties.
4. See the file location in the Connection String field.
5. Change the name of the new updated data source file to match the file shown in the Connection String field.
6. Backup the old file and replace it with the new updated file.