Adding a grand total to a stacked column or bar
I like to have my cake and eat it too. Oftentimes, I will find myself needing to create a stacked bar or column chart while also including a data point or a data label for the grand total of each stacked column.
I found that its pretty easy to accomplish this:
- Place a hierarchy in your columns axis. Selected the All member plus the children underneath the All member.
- Place your second hierarchy within your rows axis.
- Place your measure in your subset.
- Format as stacked column or bar.
- From the ribbon, show data labels on the inside.
- Now, right-click and edit just the series for the All member.
- Change this series to just column or bar as opposed to stacked column or stacked bar. This will place the All member as a standalone bar or column behind the stack. If it shows up in front of the stack, you can send it to back.
- Change the data label for this series to show the label on the outside.
The result will look like the image below: there is a data label for each member of the product dimension, plus an overall data label for the summation of each stack.