Best Practices When Upgrading BI Office

BI Office upgrades are a very straight forward process. But there are checks that should be done after any software upgrade to ensure a smooth transition for your users. Below are Best Practices as you upgrade BI Office from one version to another as well as standard General Upgrade Guidance.

Have a Best Practice for upgrades? Migrations? Please share in the reply section below.

UPGRADE BEST PRACTICES  GUIDANCE

1. Review all Release Notes for the new version to understand any changes that may affect your deployment. MOST IMPORTANTLY: BACKUP YOUR CONTENT STORE BEFORE ATTEMPTING AN UPGRADE.
  2. Evaluate the latest version in a test environment that closely approximates the specifications of the production environment (hardware and software).
  3. Make sure all System Checks are green and running from the administration console.
  4. Check the Logs to make sure there are no error messages.
  5. Make sure All Settings have carried forward in the administration console such as System Limits, Auto Backup, Load Balancing, and SMTP Email.
  6. Run the BI Office Migrate and Data-Source Change wizard on content.
  7. Run the Missing Data Wizard on your content to confirm there are no anomalies or errors during the upgrade.
  8. Make sure your different user groups can access BI Office content and data sources.
  9. Compare  content to previous versions to confirm accuracy and consistency (for example, test specific filters or calculations like top 10 items) on your views.

GENERAL UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS

When installing new versions, the FULL installer can be used:

• As a new install

• As an upgrade to prior versions of an existing BI Office database

• As a direct upgrade to existing BI Office software installation of the SAME major version. (Like 6.1 to 6.3)

BEFORE INSTALLING PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS

• BEFORE applying any upgrade, administrators are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to back-up the Pyramid content store database. Content is often changed during upgrades and cannot be reversed.

• The installer must also be installed with administrative privileges by an administrator.

DIRECTIONS

• Run the “SetupLauncher.exe” file on the ISO installation media file.
    To use the ISO installation file, either:

• Mount the ISO file and install the contents on the virtual drive

• Burn a copy of the ISO file to a DVD or CD-ROM disc

• Extract the ISO to a local directory

• The upgrade process MUST be done across all servers hosting the same instance of the platform.

DEPLOYMENT WIZARD

1. Once the installation has been applied, administrators will be presented with the Deployment Wizard.
  2. Administrators must click through and complete the wizard sequence in order to apply the upgrade successfully.

If you are unsure on the correct course of action when upgrading, please contact Pyramid Support support@pyramidanalytics.com for help.

5replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Thanks John.  This checklist might aid the install process as well.  

Like 1
  • Hello Joey,

I have just reviewed your pre-requisite check-list and I was

wondering if there's any plan of support the Standard Edition of Microsoft SQL Server.

Best Regards,

Tarek

• Tarek,

You can use Standard Edition today.  However, SSAS Standard Edition has limits to its functionality and capability.  In fact, in SQL 2014, there was a limit to the size of the models you could build, which made it more of a work group solution as opposed to an enterprise solution.  As such, we do not recommend Standard Edition.  With SQL 2016, it appears that Microsoft may have removed some of the size limitations and just limits features, although the limits on partitioning your data could be seen as a size limitation.  To see what is and is not supported in SQL 2016 Standard Edition, please review the following link: SSAS 2016 Editions. Despite its limitations, the product should work just fine with Standard Edition.

-Jason

• Jason,

Could you please confirm me the following :

1/ The limitation you are refering to  are related to the the tabular  or multi-dimensionnal model.

2/ If my customers have got working OLAP cubes running perfectly fine with SQL standard édition, can I assume that PA should work fine ? (Context : Mid-market this is not large scale BI installation)

3/ PA do not implicitly invoke SQL Enterprise ONLY features/properties 

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Best Regards,

Tarek

Like 1
  • Apparently I did not read far enough through the 2016 document that I linked to in my response. According to the following TechNet article (LINK), even in 2016 there is a size limitation to SSAS for the Standard Edition.  In 2016 it is 16GB for the Tabular Server and 64GB for the Multi-dimensional Server.  This means that it does not matter how big of a server you have, Standard Edition will not utilize more than the listed amount of memory for SSAS. 

In 2014, you can only create multi-dimensional cubes in the Standard Edition and it uses the same 64GB memory limit (LINK).

Yes, PA should work fine with your cube.  None of the basic features of the product require Enterprise edition.  It is possible you might be able to write some complex MDX expression by hand that wouldn't run in the Standard Edition but none of our wizards or UI components would create anything that would cause problems with your cube.

Like 2
Like2 Follow
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 1744Views
  • 6 Following